Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year - New Goal!

Happy New Year!!!  We rang in the New Year celebrating the marriage of two amazing people!  It was a fun night to reflect and hope for the future!

One of the things I reflected upon was the fact that I did not meet my goal of running 250 miles before 1/1/11.  I was high on just finishing Ragnar.  It was summertime in MN.  And I put out a lofty goal for myself.  In all honesty, I really believed in myself and thought I could do it.

I was motivated and excited.  I started out a bit weak by just walking the dog every day.  But around 30 days into it, I realized that I needed to get my butt in gear (literally).  I stepped it up a bit, then ended up with shin splints.  So, I altered my methods to include "miles" on the elliptical machine and stationary bike.  But still, I didn't work as hard as I should have worked.  In the end I was 68 miles short of making the goal.  I missed my mark.

On the positive side, I have hope for the future!  I worked hard towards the end of last year, and that propelled me into working hard at the beginning of 2011.  I've come up with a new goal, and I'm even more excited about this one!

My goal is to run at least 1 5k every month in 2011!  There will be some months that I run more than one race (for example, in August I'll also be running Ragnar).  And I'd also like to run a 10k this year as well!  But the goal is to run at least one 5k each month.

Below is a list of possible races.  I'll update as I register for each one, and hope some of you will join me!  You can be sure that I'll be wearing a boa from time to time, because after all... Everything is better with a boa!!!

  • January: 
  • February: 
    • Sunday 2/6 at 9:45am - Freeze Your Buns Run in Hamel.  (I've been told this is kind of a lame run, but FREE pancake breakfast... uh, yes please!)
    • Saturday 2/12 at 9:00am - Hearts 'r' Running in St. Paul.
  • March:
    • Saturday 3/12 at 9:15am - 100% Irish for a Day.  I've done this one before, and it's a blast!!!  
  • April:
    • Saturday 4/9 at 8:30am - Run the Valley
    • Although it is a GREAT race, I'm more than likely NOT going to run the Get in Gear on April 30th.  I have cheered at this race a couple of times in the past, and I think I'm going to continue cheering for this one!
  • May:
    • - Nothing I saw immediately caught my attention in May.  Will need some suggestions here!
  • June:
  • July:
  • August: - Nothing I saw immediately caught my attention in August.  Will need some suggestions here!  
  • September:
  • October:
  • November: - Waiting for more race info to come out!!!
  • December: - Waiting for more race info to come out!!!
I'm open to race suggestions!  Please let me know about fun and interesting races in or near the Twin Cities!!!  

And remember... I'd L-O-V-E for you to join me!

4 comments:

  1. Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure is in May if you're so inclined. It's a mad house but it's for a good cause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, girl!!!! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your goal would kill me, but I'll try to be inspired. Good luck and ice those shins.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Kris, the Race for the Cure is insane. But, for a good cause. I think that would be one where I'd need to join a team of fun people!

    Thanks Andrea, I'm really excited about my goal.

    And K. your reminder about my shins is excellent. I must learn from past mistakes!

    ReplyDelete