Sunday, January 16, 2011

January's Run = DONE

I finished my first 5k of the year!  Yesterday evening I participated in the inaugural Kick Your Resolution 5K in St. Louis Park, MN.  I was excitedly nervous all day waiting for race time.  I kept busy throughout the day by picking up my awesome race packet, stopping off at Dick's Sporting Goods for a couple of new race items, and creating my race playlist.

The race started at 4:51pm, and the temperature was a balmy 12 degrees.  I started at the very back of the pack of runners.  My initial pace was slow and steady, and I was actually enjoying the cold air whipping across my face.  Slowly but surely I began passing people.  It felt GREAT to be running past the other competitors and feeling confident in my pace.  We ran around Louisiana Oaks Park twice.  There were some nice hills here and there, which I really enjoyed, and it wasn't too icy.  The trees were lit up with red and gold lights, and running through the winter wonderland was FUN!

With about a half mile left of the race I had come up behind a lone runner.  It seemed the two of us were the only ones around by at least 25 yards.  I set my sights on her and kept up with her pace.  My strategy was to keep right on her heels until we were about 50 yards from the finish line.  Then I would kick it down, blow past her, and sprint to the finish!  We were running about 10 and a half minute miles.  My lungs felt great, my legs felt strong, my thoughts were clear.  I heard a runner behind me, and decided to begin my sprinting.

I turned on my mental power boost, engaged my legs into moving faster, and blew past the woman I had been pacing with.  I rounded the corner to cross the glorious finish, and heard my time... 35:23!!!  I ran my first 5k of 2011 in 35 minutes and 23 seconds!  I was ecstatic, I was high on endorphins, I was collapsing into the arms of a dear friend and her family!  I had fans cheering for me!!!  My Hot Husband was there with our pooch!  They came out to support me, and all of the mental and physical work I had done was celebrated!
Post Race Picture with one of my fans!

Thank you to everyone who supported me over the past week!  All of the encouraging blog comments, Facebook posts, texts, and phone calls made a huge difference.  Thank you!

I now have my sights set on February's race!  I'll post as soon as I am registered!

3 comments: