Tuesday, February 8, 2011

PB/PR Me... ASAP!

I broke my Personal Best, my Personal Record, my ASAP!  On Sunday morning I went to Hamel, MN to run in the 8th Annual Super Bowl Sunday Freeze Your Buns Run.  I had stayed up late the night before with Hot Hubby, Mario Bros for Wii, and beers.  In the morning I got up for the run, barely made it to the start line on time, and started my 3.2 mile trek.

I mentally struggled throughout the run.  I didn't feel like my pace was spectacular, and I felt sluggish.  Conditions were about perfect for winter running; 24 degrees, mostly dry roads, no precipitation.  But for some reason my mind was sending me messages that sounded like this:

  • You're slow.
  • Why didn't you prepare more, and get here on time?
  • Dude, that 13 year old girl just sprinted past you.
  • Uh, you're still slow.
  • And so on, and so on.
It was dreadful!  I felt like 3.2 miles was FOR-EV-ER.  My music wasn't motivating.  The wind whipping my face wasn't motivating.  It was even difficult to get excited for the promise of pancakes!

But somehow, someway, my body won over my mind.  I chugged along, and kept pushing through.  I climbed the last hill, and saw the finish line.  I started my sprint about 30 yards from the line I needed to cross.  I saw Hot Hubby and Rascal on the sidelines, and heard a good friend yelling, "Sprint it out Foo!" 

I crossed the finish line, and heard 31:51.  I clicked the stop button on my watch and slowed down.  I wandered a few yards, then started to head back to my cheering crew.  I couldn't believe it.  I broke my Personal Best by more than 3 minutes!  I ran those 3.2 miles in the fastest time I had EVER run 3.2 miles!  It was amazing, it was fun, it was emotional!  

I learned this past weekend that I need to trust (and listen to) my body.  Over the past several weeks I've worked hard on becoming fit, losing weight, and being healthier overall.  Through that time I've subconsciously listened to my body.  It's time for me to consciously listen.  To shut off that nagging voice in my brain that says I'm slow, and turn up the volume on my muscles, joints, and bones.  Because my body is telling me that this hard work is good, it's rewarding.  

And if my body tells me to beat my own past accomplishments, then I am going to listen!

Part of the Cheering Squad - Rascal!

2 Foos after an awesome race, and awesome pancakes

3 comments: